In my last storming story, I exposed my views on the impact that stakeholders have over teams and tje power of feedback to help continue improving.
Today’s storming story is about a team that has been navigating through the turbulent waters of the #practicingAgile river, while its compnay navigates through the #WaterfallprojectOriented dangerous and complex ocean, and how we have managed to survive and thrive by letting things #flow.
- #Bob the project manager shows up and ask #Mary the Product Owner of the #MixefFellingsScrumTeam, to come up with a high level plan (detailed goals included) for a given initiative that seemed important to the business.
- #Bob said that he has the mandate to deliver a plan for the initiative as soon as possible, to answer back to his boss #JaneTheVP who has been complaining about it and who wanted to see results “rapido”.
- #Bob wanted #Mary to dedicate some new team members full time to its initiative, because the #SacredBudget for the initiative forecast only a couple of “resources” to it and not the whole #MixFeelingsTeam.
- #Bob wanted #Tom the #ScrumMaster to use its magic and guaranty him that only those “resources” were used to #JaneVP’s initiative
What is the issue here?
There is nothing wrong with it, but I would consider to answer the following questions when facing this type of scenario:
- What’s the message that the company is sending to their people?
- How people might feel If as leaders we send them a contradicting message like for example: ” don’t worry, I know you are part of a team but for this project, please do your best to get it done just with a few of your colleagues.
- Is the way people work simpler or more complicated when we leadership is unclear at what they do?
- Do we want motivated and engaged teams or quick and dirty results as soon as possible?
Trans-forming though of the week
- What would be different at work if as a leader, instead of funding projects I give it a try and fund teams?
- How would it be?
- What would it take for me as leader to influence other leaders and learn by experimenting?
- How people might feel if as leaders we send them a message that shows that we really trust at we they do?
Call to action
Did you find what I wrote appealing and want to see more?
Here some options that I have prepared for you to keep us growing together:
- Provide me with constructive feedback to help you be at the best you could be.
- Support my writing by: getting a copy of my book Forming Agile Teams or encourage me to keep writing the second workbook of the Agile teams from forming to performing series called “Storming Agile Teams” or get a copy of one of minibooks (Lift off Agile Teams – The team’s transformation process or Agile Teams – Improvement tools and exercises)
- Join one of my upcoming Advanced training workshops for Agility Enablers
- Share and discuss this post with your colleagues and friends.
- Be good with yourself, your people and smile 😃 to the world 🌎.
All the best,