What happens when things start to slow down up to a level that you fell everything needs tones of efforts to be done? How much fun are you having at your work place today? Maybe impediments are piling up.
Here is what I do to validate my perception when impediments are piling up:
First of all, listen to your inner voice
When I find myself wining, feeling frustrated, powerless and useless at the workplace, then is clear to me that impediments are pilling up.
It feels unclear
When asked about who does what, and how work flows, if the answer that pops starts with “it depends, if this then that”, well that’s another clear consequence of impediments that are pilling up.
It makes no sense
If people are doing things that are nonsense, like reworking, back and forward emails to get written confirmation out of disrespected verbal engagement, then impediments are pilling up
It feels unsafe
You feel it, your colleagues feel it too. It is unsafe to talk and tell the truth. You can smell people’s fearing to speak their minds, then impediments are pilling up.
Sarcasm is everywhere
We start using sarcasm to express our concerns and voice through heavy and acid jokes what is causing frustration, then impediments are pilling up.
Here my top four remedies to this dangerous combo:
#3 – Everything starts with yourself first. Take a moment to assess the situation, talk to someone who is not directly involved in the situation and ask her/his opinion about the situation. It will help you with building self Awareness and confirm your perceptions about the situation.
#2 – Step back and let it go. If you have paused on step 3, take a break again. At this point of the conversation your jugement and emotional state could be affected. Breath, run, take a walk, talk to your loved person, dog or cat. Give it space and let it go.
#1 – Make things visible, do it with compassion and love. Find the sponsor for the change that you are trying to provoke, support, help with and offer her/him your perspective out of the situation. My friend Philippe Cousineau remembered me that a SWOT Analysis could be a great help to put things into perspective and facilitate the conversation. And remember, be calm and ready to help and offer your perspective without letting your emotions drive your thoughts.
#0 – Take your courage and have a crucial conversation. Grab a coffee with those who could help with removing impediment out the way of change and do whatever is in your power to make them see/hear to your perspective and let it sink. Give it some time and magic will happen probably in surprising and unexpected ways.
Call to action
Did you find what I wrote appealing and want to see more? Would you like to share a learning experience or two together?
Here some options that I have prepared for you to keep us growing together:
- Drop me a comment with your thoughts about the article.
- Join my upcoming Liberating Structures Workshop.
- Support my writing by: getting a copy of my book Forming Agile Teams, encourage me to restart writing the second workbook of the Agile teams from forming to performing series called “Storming Agile Teams” or get a copy of one of minibooks (Lift off Agile Teams – The team’s transformation process or Agile Teams – Improvement tools and exercises)
- Download and try the tools that I have created for you to help your teams to be at their best.
- Join the ScrumMasters Clinics #MTL Movement
- Help me elevate my writing skills, by providing me with constructive feedback.
- Share and discuss this post with your colleagues and friends.
- Be good with yourself, your people, huge someone and smile 😃 to the world 🌎.
All the best,