Why is connecting with people important to me?
As a human being and as an Agility Enabler, another fundamental skill I practice daily is to help people connect with each other.
Here is a definition I found:
Connecting with someone means feeling like you deeply understand and share the same vision with him/her. The purpose of connecting is to develop a deeper relationship that will help you to get more out of your friendship, your romantic relationship..etc. You get better at it by understanding how others think and interact.
When I have developed a Connection with someone else, I am able to:
- Truly understand the world from its eyes.
- Share experiences, values, ideas that would inspire each other to learn something new.
- Validate my perceptions about how the other person interacts and think with me and others.
- Improve the way we communicate, collaborate and finally do things together.
- Share and spread love through the energy released by that connection.
- Create a future that’s reachable, possible, attainable.
- Be a better version of myself.
By developing this skill, you might be able to identify potential areas of improvement for a given team or organization. It might help you explore touchy areas, unexplored territories, empathize and ease the way for a team or organization to improve their performance, survive and thrive when trying to help with Enabling Agility at the workplace.
How do I connect with someone else and how does that help me with Enabling Agility at the workplace?
- I start by learning more about that person through curiosity. A one on one meeting, or a virtual coffee could be a good way to achieve it.
- By genuinely showing that I want to learn more about their stories and what brought them to the place we are sharing at the moment we meet, are my favorite ways to start connecting. I might do that by:
- Asking open ended questions.
- Listening to understand.
- Gaining context and learning more details about the stories that the person is willing to share.
What’s the value of connecting people for an individual, team or organization?
- Develop ideas and be able to innovate.
- Provoke change through
- Learn new things.
- Inspire others to connect with each other.
- Build a network of trust where everything is possible.
- Acquire new perspectives.
- Empathize with others.
- Develop friendships for life.
- Ease communication, interactions and collaboration.
- Stay motivated to inspect and adapt.
- Grow personally and professionally.
What about you?
- What do you to connect with people?
- How do you do it? What’s your favorite approach?
- What’s the value that connecting with other people has for you?
- What’s holding back to start connecting with people now?
My invitation is to create the future you believe in by investing time connecting people
Please take a deep breath, keep yourself and others around you safe, and remember that:
No matter what happens, I strongly believe that we are incredibly better together!