How do I feel when I lack perspective for a given context?
- Things are incomplete.
- Something feels wrong, weird.
- It’s like a beautiful plate of pasta without salt and butter.
- I am not seeing the whole picture
- It feels that there is work to be done but I can’t see it or touch it.
- I feel a need to feel the gap with assumptions.
- It could be frustrating.
What about others around?
Today I was in a meeting discussing some guidelines (principles and high level requirements) for a new way to oversee projects at the workplace. Given the lack of context I had, I got defensive when another colleague was trying to make a point based on its own context without considering mine. At least that was my perception until I realized that we both were lacking perspective and context about each other’s situations.
That has made me wonder:
- How many times have I been judgemental with somebody else because I was lacking it’s context to put things into perspective?
- How many deep and great conversations I am not having just because I’m listening to respond instead of being empathetic and use my curiosity to get context and perspective when collaborating with others?
What if …..
- I take more time to actively listen to others and use my curiosity to get more context and add perspective to every single situation? What would happen?
- I ask others to explain and provide examples to help them illustrate their context and stay open to be surprised?
- I invite myself and others around me to stop willing to be all right and start opening our hearts to build great things together and embrace diversity as a powerful source of love and inspiration?
My invitation is to look consciously to add perspective at what and how you do things
Now that you know a little bit more about myself, I invite you to take a moment and look around, staying curious and being brave.
- What conversations, processes, situations are lacking context and perspective on your life?
- Who could give you a hand and provide you with feedback when your lack of context could benefit from getting some perspective?
- What first action could you take to listen more actively to those who have a different perspective/point of you than yourself? A
Keep it up, and remember that:
We are better together!