What brought me to write this post?
When I started my Agile Coaching journey, back then in 2014, I found this free course called Inspiring Leadership through Emotional Intelligence, offered by professor Richard Boyatzis from Case Western Reserve University, that totally shifted the way I was leading myself and others. The one thing I learned about the power of Positive and Negative Emotional Attractors and how being in a PEA could influence the way I coach people and teams, inspire change, strive and flourish.
Last week, when working with one of my mentees, we discussed the possibilities of being in a PEA state and how it could influence and change things around him. When I asked about the emotions he wanted to experience and where, he referred some of the words listed in the picture below:
And then he said he wanted to experience all these emotions, during a recurring meeting of him.
Here is the exercise we did together:
- I asked him to think about the taste in mouth he has, once he leaves that meeting.
- I invited him to name it, using a fruit. He referred to the taste of a lemon.
- Then I asked him to describe the reasons behind its choice, and connect that to the body sensations he was feeling when describing the experience.
- I invited him to think about the taste of a fruit he loves and to describe what he experiences when he eats one. He said a Clementines and you could see joy through a great smile appearing on his video webcam.
- Then I challenged him by asking him:
- What would be different if the taste in mouth you get by the end of that meeting, would be the taste of a delicious Clementine?
- What do you need to change to make that happen?
- What fear is holding you back?
I learned that …
- It brings me joy, hope and playfulness to connect with others at the level I mentioned above.
- Help people find their voice, reconnect with their true self, and regain confidence through mentoring and agile coaching is one of my greatest passions in life.
- Once I am able to build a connexion with another human being, everything is possible.
- It feels great being myself and getting cleared about who I am, and what my super powers are. Human connexion is one of my superpowers.
My invitation is to dive deep into the realm of real conversations
Here some reflections I have for you today:
- What kind of conversations are you currently having?
- How do you build human connexions around you? Are real conversations part of your daily habits?
- What is present for you after reading this article?
- How are you nurturing your PEAs and building self awareness about NEAs?
Please stay at home, take a deep breath, keep yourself safe, and remember that:
No matter what happens, I strongly believe that we are incredibly better together!