What was I thinking when I wrote this post?
It’s been a week since me and one of the teams that I am currently with started working remotely from home. Having the whole organization working remotely creates new challenges for everyone, one of them is the ability to manage changing priorities, being able to deal with the 24 hours availability sensation, manage multiple conversation channels (online chat, video conference calls, etc). All these things together could have a great impact and stress decision makers up to their limits.
How important is to say No?
Working from home, combined with hours seated in front of a computer, listening to multiple people speaking online, having to show up in a web camera has been really intense. It is demanding, it requires attention and concentration. Add all that was mentioned above and you could rapidly end up burning yourself out. The most effective remedy to cope with this situation is our ability to say No more often, so then you can focus on what’s really important.
That has made me wonder:
- How many times have I said yes willing to say no?
- How much frustration have I felt after I’ve said yes or didn’t speak up to do what I really wanted to do?
- How much time have I wasted on doing things that I knew since the beginning weren’t the most important once?
- How much stress have I caused on others when I didn’t have enough courage to tell them No, I can’t do what you want/need?
What if …..
- I try to say No? Does that mean that I need to know what’s really important?
- I accept that I have a limited capacity to respond to what others want/expect from?
- I have the courage to back myself up and be always at choice, and give me permission to say No more often? How things would be? What would it feel like?
My invitation for you to say No to the good, to say yes to the best
I have still a lot to learn and I feel grateful for that, so now that you know a little bit more about myself, I invite you to take a moment to look around, staying curious, being brave, spreading love to reflect about the following questions:
- How do you know what’s important for you?
- What habits do you practice daily to give you permission to say No more often and live with it?
- What is blocking you from saying No to your boss, child, wife/husband, friend, situation?
- What is holding you back from saying yes today, to what could be the best for you tomorrow?
Stay at home, keep yourself safe, and remember that:
We are incredibly better together, today more than ever!