What makes Perception an important soft skill for me?
As an Agility Enabler, another crucial skill I use to help people, teams and organizations survive and thrive are Perceptions:
Here is a definition I found:
Perception: the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses
Perceptions might be crucial to be able to see, hear or become aware of what’s going on in a given team or organization. The way people interact to each other, that’s something you can only perceive with your senses. So, given that our Perceptions might not be equal to the reality of that something, then, it is crucial to go a step further to validate your perceptions, when trying to help with Enabling Agility at the workplace.
How do I validate my Perceptions to Enable Agility at the workplace?
- Ask people’s permission to share my perceptions, through Observation, and validate their reality by:
- Asking open end questions.
- Listening to understand.
- Gain context and learn more details about a given situation.
What’s the value of validating my Perceptions for that person, team or organization?
- Help people reflect about the impact of their actions over the system.
- Provoke change through action and movement.
- Build self-awareness.
- Add clarity to what we all do and why we do it.
- Develop emotional intelligence.
- By observing others behaving, I could see myself reflected and learn more about self.
- Lear more about the power of open ended questions, better understanding about what to ask, how and to do it.
- Build trust by creating a system where actions are driven by facts and not only perceptions.
- Help people, teams and organizations to keep growing
- Focus on what really matters.
- Reduce waste by focusing only on productive conflicts.
- By showing that example, I could help the system learn how to make itself better.
What about you?
- What do you use Perceptions for in life?
- How do you nurture your Perceptions daily? What’s your favorite technique? Do you listen to your intuition?
- What would be different if you were validating your perceptions before reacting or responding? What would change?
- What’s holding back to start now?
My invitation is to validate your perceptions to change the world around you, one conversation at a time
Please take a deep breath, keep yourself and others around you safe, and remember that:
No matter what happens, I strongly believe that we are incredibly better together!